The month of June was implementation-focused for the Moonbeam project.
There was a lot of activity in the Parity Frontier repo — including some contributions from the Moonbeam team — on the implementation of the Web3 RPC endpoints. This is a necessary component to enable Moonbeam’s Ethereum compatibility features.
We will be working on wrapping up the Web3 RPC initial implementation effort over the next couple weeks. Automated testing of the RPCs is the biggest outstanding item.
We have a few additional updates to share:
- Launched a new documentation site: https://docs.moonbeam.network/
- Announced plans to launch on Kusama prior to Polkadot: https://www.purestake.com/news/moonbeam-on-kusama/
- Derek Yoo was selected as a judge for the Hackusama hackathon (going on now): https://hackusama.devpost.com/#judges
We also have two upcoming talks this month:
- July 21: Substrate Builder’s Talk on Moonbeam’s Ethereum Compatibility
Register Now: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/substrate-moonbeam-ethereum-compatibility
- July 23: A Hackusama Workshop Featuring Moonbeam
Register Now: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/hackusama-webinar-series/4
New Moonbeam Documentation Site
As mentioned, a big update is the launch of our new documentation site for Moonbeam, which can be found here: https://docs.moonbeam.network/
The Moonbeam docs site has information about the motivations for the project, a technology overview, resource links, and “getting started” guides that walk through:
- Getting a local Moonbeam node set up
- Using MetaMask to send tokens between EVM accounts
- Deploy a Solidity-based smart contract to Moonbeam using Remix
- Deploy a Solidity-based smart contract to Moonbeam using Truffle
- Using Web3 to sign transactions and to deploy smart contracts
A few highlights from the guides follow.
Coming Up Next
For the month of July, our focus will continue to be on implementation.
We will be finishing our work on on the Web3-compatible RPCs in Substrate that are the basis of our Web3 Foundation grant. After this, we will be working on a unified account system in Moonbeam and the incentive mechanics for collators.
We also will be doing live demos of Moonbeam at a Substrate builder’s virtual event on Tuesday July 21.
Join Our Community
Are you interested in trying out the Ethereum compatibility features of Moonbeam? We would love to hear from you. Please reach out to us on Riot.